This is another hearty winter soup, almost like a stew if you let it cook down. I’ve listed the basic ingredients but you can add any vegetable you want that’s in season. The combination of white and sweet potatoes gives the soup a wonderful flavor and the addition of hard squash, carrots and parsnips gives the soup its hearty stew consistency.
4 White potatoes
2 Sweet potato
2 stalks Celery
1 small butternut or acorn squash
2 cups Chicken stock
2 cups water
2 Garlic cloves
3-4 tbsp Olive oil
1⁄2 cup Tomato sauce or 2 fresh tomatoes
1⁄2 tsp Cumin
1⁄2 tsp curry
1 tsp Italian herbs
1⁄4 tsp Salt
1⁄4 tsp Pepper
1) Cut up the onions and garlic into small pieces and sauté them in a cooking pot with olive oil.
2) Chop the celery, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, hard squash, and carrots into small cubes, and add them to the sauté.
3) Add the herbs, curry paste, cumin, pepper, and salt to the sauté.
4) Let the vegetables and seasonings simmer on a low flame.
5) Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, and water, to the cooking pot and cook all the ingredients on a low flame for 2-3 hours.
6) Once the soup is cooked, turn o the heat and allow it to cool.
7) Place the cooked mixture in a blender and blend until smooth.
8) Place the root vegetable soup in a pan and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.