Pesto is often used with pasta but, since we don’t eat grains, we use pesto to make a sandwich with sliced chicken or turkey wrapped in lettuce leaves or cooked collard greens. We also put pesto on spaghetti squash (which we eat like pasta) and on baked potatoes.
4 cups of fresh basil leaves
3⁄4 cup pine nuts
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves
1) Wash basil gently in cool water.
2) Cut basil and put it in the blender. Blend until basil is chopped into small pieces.
3) Add the garlic to the blender with the basil, and blend again.
4) Add pine nuts and olive oil, and blend until you have a paste. (add more olive oil if you like an oilier consistency)
5) Add more garlic or herbs to reach your desired taste.
6) Scoop the pesto mixture from the blender, serve, and enjoy!