Tagines also require a special pot but if you don’t have one you can use a good iron or ceramic pot that you can put in the oven for hours. The seasoning is everything in a tagine as the herbs need to be fresh and strong to get the best flavor. is is another beautiful dish when served on a platter.
1 cup Almonds 1 large whole Chicken
1⁄4 cup Parsley 1⁄2 tsp Cumin
1⁄2 tsp Turmeric 1 cups pitted Prunes
1 tsp Salt Pinch of black pepper
3 cups Water
1) Wash the chicken and put it in a pot.
2) Cut the parsnips, potatoes, onions, and garlic into small cubes, and put them on top of the chicken.
3) Soak the almonds in hot water for 1 hour, remove the almonds and throw away the water.
4) While the almonds are hot, peel o their skin with a small knife or with your fingers.
5) Sauté the almonds in olive oil until brown, set aside.
6) Cook the prunes in honey and cinnamon in 1 cup of water for 20 minutes on a very low flame, then set aside.
7) Put the olive oil in a big pot and sauté the onions, garlic, parsley, turmeric, ginger, salt, black pepper in olive oil for 5 minutes on low to medium flame
8) Add the chicken to the sauté and cook for 15 more minutes on low flame; turn it over so it can brown on both sides; keep the flame low so the chicken gets brown but does not burn.
9) When the chicken starts to brown, add 2 cups of water and continue to cook the chicken for 20 minutes on low flame.
10) After the chicken has cooked for 10 minutes, transfer the chicken in its sauce to a casserole dish, place the dish in the oven, and cook at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
11) Take the chicken out of oven, and cover it with the almonds, prune and the caramelized onion mixture. Cover and let cook over low flame for 10 minutes until zucchini and peppers are just about soft, but not too soft.
12) he orange juice over the chicken and vegetables, and place the pot into the oven to cook for 2 1⁄2 hours at 400 degrees.
13) Check the chicken and vegetables occasionally to make sure you have enough liquid in the pot. If the stock looks low, add some more.
14) When the chicken is golden brown remove it from the oven, let if cool, and enjoy!