This is a hearty winter stew that I love to prepare for guests with a beet salad or green salad. This dish reminds me of a tagine because of the prunes and honey added to the stew.
8 Carrots 5 Sweet Potatoes
2 White Potatoes 1 Onion
1 cup Prunes 3 tbsp Olive oil
1⁄2 cup Honey 1⁄2 tsp Cinnamon
pinch of Turmeric 1⁄4 tsp Salt
1⁄4 tsp pepper
1⁄2 cup Chicken stock, vegetable stock or orange juice
1) Preheat the oven 350 degrees.
2) Heat the olive oil on a medium size flame in a deep pot.
3) Cut up the onion and add to the hot pot.
4) Cut the carrots, sweet potatoes and white potatoes into bite size chunks.
5) Once the onions have been cooked in the pot until soft, add the cut carrots, sweet potatoes and white potatoes to the pot.
6) Add the cinnamon, turmeric, salt, and pepper, and mix the seasonings into the vegetables.
7) Cook on a low flame for about 40 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are soft.
8) Add a small amount of chicken stock, vegetable stock, or orange juice, to the pot, and let everything cook for 25 minutes.
9) After 25 minutes, add the honey and prunes to the pot.
10) Let everything cook for 15 more minutes.
11) Transfer everything from the pot to a baking pan, and cover the baking pan with foil.
12) Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
13) Remove the baking pan after 15 minutes, transfer to a deep bowl and serve the stew hot.