Butternut squash is a staple food in our house. I buy 4-5 squashes of different sizes and keep them stored in a dark place so we have them on hand to make soups, salads, and pies.
NOTE: is recipe requires that you bake the squash until it’s just getting soft so that you have the crunchy texture of the squash combined with the nuts, combined with the soft and slightly bitter taste of the watercress and/or arugula. INGREDIENTS
1 butternut squash
1⁄4 cup fresh Cilantro
4 cups of Watercress and Arugula
1⁄2 cup of Walnuts or Almonds
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp Honey
2 tsp Mustard
1⁄2 cup Apple cider vinegar
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of black Pepper
1) Bake butternut squash at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes until it is soft enough to cut.
2) Peel o the squash skin, and cut the remaining squash meat into 1⁄2 inch cubes.
3) Put the squash cubes into a saucepan with the honey, olive oil, salt and pepper, and cover them with a lid. Let the ingredients simmer on a low flame for 10 minutes.
4) While the squash is cooking combine the Apple Cider vinegar and cilantro in a separate pan, and cook over a low flame for 5 minutes.
5) Take the Apple cider vinegar and cilantro off the stove and add the olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper.
6) Put squash, choice of greens, and nuts into a salad bowl.
7) Drizzle the dressing over the salad and mix gently.